Sunday 16 September 2012

The Big Day Part 2 - The Big Blister



The Big Blister - This is Becky's Story...

The weekend of TrailWalker had finally dawned.  All those hours of training and fundraising were all about to come to a head.  It was no longer months or weeks away…and I was slightly nervous to say the least.  The Monday before, I had been in a ringo on a school field day (an activity which had not been approved by our team leader, Sue) and pulled a muscle in my neck, also compressing some vertebrae.  Perhaps not the best thing to have done just before attempting a 100k walk!  I could not move my neck from side to side or up and down – but my legs were still working, fortunately! 
We all had a fun evening together before the walk and enjoyed the entertainment provided by the Ghurkas.  None of us could quite believe the officer who merrily stood up and told us that he had run the course the previous evening and it was a “bit” muddy underfoot.  How on earth could he RUN 100k and then be standing and walking normally that soon afterwards?!?
With rain forecast, I was very glad to be sleeping in a hotel the night before and not in a tent like my poor husband!  Goodbyes said, we headed back to the hotel for a good night’s rest… and I managed to sleep for all of half an hour due to a very painful neck and nerves.  Needless to say, I did not wake up bright and breezy but did giggle when I found out that Sue had forgotten her boots!  The Ghurka breakfast also put a smile on our faces, especially the way that Sandra arranged hers!  Having waved off the men’s team, it was time to put our best feet forward and head off ourselves.  The atmosphere at the start line was brilliant and it was inspiring to see the Ghurka teams who would be running the course.  We were all decked up in full weather gear and they only had on singlets and shorts!  After singing a loud “Happy Birhtday” to Sandra, we were finally off, setting a good pace.
The first stage of the course passed relatively smoothly, despite some drizzle.  We were all in good spirits and I enjoyed hearing the chatter of other teams as we walked along.  Many people wished Sandra a Happy Birthday as they walked past, and we made it to Check Point One in very good time.  Check points two to four merge into a bit of a blur for me as the tracks underfoot got very muddy and the going was tough from quite an early stage.  The support crew were fantastic at the check points they could get to, and it was great to have Karen to join us for one stage.  I think my favourite part of the walk was getting in to checkpoint five to have warm soup and chocolate provided by Emma, Karen and Lyn.  The baseball caps with our “idols” hanging from them also gave us some light relief!
Going back to the mud and rain, I honestly think that this was my downfall.  Despite never having had a blister through training walks, I was the first to develop one on my left heel, only about ten km in.  I did dress it early on, and change socks too, but the conditions meant that clean socks were saturated shortly after changing them and boots were soaked through as well.  One of the checkpoints was more like a war zone than a welcoming sight, with mud up to our shins and nowhere dry to administer attention to our feet.  At around Check Point four, the blister turned from being a nagging pain to real agony with every step.  However, despite hearing that Rich had pulled out from his team due to severe blisters, I was determined to keep going as long as I could.   
 
At Check Point Five, I did nearly give up, but the team spirit and support crew kept me plodding (or hobbling on!).  However, halfway between CP 5 and 6, I knew that I could not continue any further and told the others in my team.  I could tell they were upset and they did try to keep me going, but I knew that that was my lot.  It was not a tough decision to make as I still feel that walking 60km in those conditions, having not slept the night before either, was an achievement.  I am also incredibly proud of the amount of money we managed to raise as a team, and the support that we gave each other.  Therefore, at CP6, I handed over my electronic tag and squeezed into the back of the support crew van, surrounded by delicious cakes and other paraphernalia!   

Steve and Paul had now taken over as crew, and they lovingly prepared pancakes for the others as they came through the Jack and Jill Windmills.  At CP9, Vicky really seemed to be struggling with blisters, but Steve and Paul had gone to walk with them, providing moral support, whilst I prepared tea and bacon sandwiches for all.  They had completed the longest stage of the course and there were now only 10km left.  The support crew headed down to Brighton, and, having been reunited with my husband, I walked the last kilometre back to join them as they crossed the finish line.  Admittedly, I was wearing Paul’s flip flops as I didn’t want to see my walking boots again for a long, long time.   

Even though I didn’t walk the full 100km with my team, I still feel a huge sense of pride for what we accomplished and am amazed and their willpower for powering on in such difficult conditions.  I am also very grateful to all the members of our support crew for keeping us going and to Steve and Paul for putting up with me for the final stages!  Sue was a fantastic team leader and was incredibly organised for both walks and fundraising.  Sandra certainly had a memorable 40th birthday and I couldn’t believe that my younger sister made it to work the very next day and completed a thirteen hour shift.  At one point, I really thought she would stop too, and am delighted she found the strength to continue.  As a team, we enjoyed several giggles together and never ran out of things to talk about, also managing to raise a huge amount for charity.

No comments:

Post a Comment